Goal Setting: Do Something New! Achieve Something New!
“You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.” — Gandhi
Tis the season for New Year’s Resolutions. Setting goals for the upcoming year and resolving to do this year better than the last. Before diving into goal setting mode, it’s important to reflect and give thanks to the year completed. Many of us rarely stop and reflect, which is a precursor to designing a powerful year ahead!
As we ring in 2019, here’s a resolution to consider: Set a goal to get better at goal setting!
Goal setting is very important no matter what stage you are at in life! As an entrepreneur, I find it important, not only for business success, but in all areas of my life! I believe you can’t just wake up, hope and wish for things to happen, and expect results. You must be ultra-clear on what it is you want to achieve and see, while leaving some room for things to simply unfold.
During this time of year, many people make New Year’s Resolutions and goals. The sad reality is that many resolutions fade a few months into the year. What’s even more staggering is that numerous studies have shown that as few as three percent of the population set goals and only about one percent actually write them down. Crazy, right!?!
The truth is, we all have dreams and aspirations! The reality is, we have a choice: We can wish, hope, daydream, and be disappointed when things don’t turn out… OR we can TAKE ACTION! One of the first steps you can take towards being a step closer to your dreams is to set clear goals. Effective goal setting is a surefire way of helping you achieve the success you want in your life!
Some interesting and encouraging facts around goal setting:
- People with written goals are 50% more likely to achieve them.
- Sharing your goals with a close confidant is proven to increase the chances of achieving your goal.
- Setting goals is the crucial first step in turning the invisible into the visible.
- The simple act of writing down a goal is a very powerful motivator.
- Properly thought out and stated, goals clearly set out your intentions and desires.
- Clearly articulating what you aim to achieve means that for every decision, you can now ask: “Does this activity get me closer to my goal?”
- Setting goals can help to release your creative energies so you can focus on how to achieve them.
Some tools I have personally used to establish my 2019 goals:
- Be clear and intentional on what it is you really want.
- Ensure some of your goals scare you. If some don’t, you’re missing out
- You’re not alone, you have a community you can reach out to help you achieve your goals
- Be sure to write your goals down and keep them visible.
- Be specific on what it is you want and establish what achieving it looks like.
- Remember your existing strengths and limitations, be realistic and honest with yourself.
- Include something you’ll do to help others.
- Be sure to share goals with people who will lift you up.
- Remember, your life is a marathon, not a sprint
- Be sure your goals excite you!
I hope these help you on your journey!
Remember, Thomas Edison stated, “Vision without execution is hallucination.” The first step in achieving your goals is knowing what it is you really want! Your time on this planet is limited, in fact, you only have 8760 hours in 2019; don’t have someone else dictate your year ahead!
Wishing you all amazing goal setting success!!!
Happy New Year Friends!